History of the Carlingford Station House
The former station house for the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway (DNGR), which is also remembered as ‘The Dispensary’, featured in the opening scenes of the 1949 film “Saints and Sinners’.
It has now undergone an extensive renovation , which has preserved many of beautiful features of the Victorian railway station which opened in August 1876, creating an attractive community asset in a prime waterfront location.
The Station House project is the culmination of almost twenty years work by members of Carlingford Lough Heritage Trust.
The Station House will provide Carlingford and the Cooley Peninsula with community offices, a Tourist Information Centre and an exhibition space with a panoramic view of Carlingford Lough and the Mourne mountains.
The Tourist Information Centre will occupy a retail unit at the north west end of the building. The ticket office is remarkably well preserved, complete with original bench and will serve as a small exhibition area. The central portion of the building, with its glazed wall overlooking the harbour will lend itself to many uses and, subject to joint funding by the Irish and Canadian governments, will house the Thomas D’Arcy McGee Interpretive Centre. The Station Master’s house, will house offices for the Heritage Trust, Carlingford and Cooley Tourism Association and additional meeting rooms.
The project received grant aid of €147,000 from Louth Leader Partnership, supported by the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government. Financial bridging support was made available by Ulster Community Investment Trust, while a favourable lease was agreed with Louth County Council.